I try to stay out of politics here on Joyfully Solo but on this issue that is near and dear to my heart I felt the need to speak up. I have tried to keep my heart out of it and keep with the facts as I think that is terribly important.
To be honest I’m mad as hell at some of the crap that is going on dealing with Planned Parenthood. And I’m damn pissed that men feel it is up to them to decide what I can and cannot do with MY body. What I can or cannot do in the way of education and contraception. What my granddaughter and great granddaughter will be allowed to do with their bodies. And what my grandson’s girlfriend or wife will be able to do with her body. These are primarily men that are trying to tell us what we can do. Where the hell do they get off telling us that? Who the hell makes them my god?
Let’s get a few things straight:
1. The videos that have gone around recently about Planned Parenthood have been deemed to be highly edited and totally out of context. Therefore they cannot be used as any type of evidence.
2. Abortions are a very small part of what Planned Parenthood does. In fact it is only about 3% of their services.
3. Planned Parenthood receives NO federal funds for any abortions except for a few that are done following rape, incest or for the safety of the mother.
4. They receive only 41% of their income from the federal government. Other income is received in the form of donations, bequests and other non-government funding.
5. The majority of work that Planned Parenthood achieves is:
a. STD testing and treatment (for both women and men)
b. HIV testing (both men and women)
c. Contraception (which helps reduce the need for abortions) including vasectomies
d. Cancer screenings such as Pap tests, breast exams (including education)
e. Pregnancy tests and prenatal services
6. Planned Parenthood is open for any woman who needs medical care – especially those in the poorer neighborhoods or without medical insurance.
What is it about any of the above that the republicans do not like? What is it they don’t understand? Why is it they want to deny women the right to health care?
Sure I understand that many are against abortions. If that is then case then you probably should not have one. But for the republicans to try and shut PP down completely is so wrong. Especially since they do not provide any funding for those abortions!
A few more facts:
1. Carly Fiorina was 100% incorrect during the last debate in which she (mis)spoke in describing a video showing PP doing an abortion in which the fetus was breathing. There was no such video Carly!
2. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, and yet another republican presidential candidate wanted to cut Medicaid reimbursements to his two (yes two) PP clinics (neither of which perform abortions). Jindal’s administration provided a list of over 2,000 other places women could obtain their health care. Interestingly this list included dentists, dermatologists, chiropractors, audiologists that were billing for family planning services (can we say fraud?). Once eliminated there were 29 clinics left, all of which indicated they did not have the capacity to take on the additional patients.
3. In 2013 a county in Indiana drove out their PP clinic which was the only place that offered HIV testing. In March of 2015 the governor announced a “public health emergency” due to the increase of HIV cases.
4. Texas blocked grants to PP and moved money to other providers. However, those other providers were already busy and could not take on the new clients. Not surprisingly the number of unplanned pregnancies began to rise.
Don’t get me wrong. I totally get that the republicans just don’t like Planned Parenthood – no matter what. They believe women can get their
health care other places but that has already been shown that those other clinics do not have the capacity to take in new patients.
I get that the republicans and the religious right don’t want to provide birth control, honest education and other testing to women (and men). But if we do not provide these services and education who will? And will those services offer all options? And will that education be fair, honest and 100% complete?
I, along with many others, fought for many years to be able to obtain the services that Planned Parenthood offers. I am ready, once again, to stand on the front lines to keep Planned Parenthood open to all. I will not allow these republicans to take us back to the 19th century.
If this offends you so be it. These are MY feelings and MY thoughts and never will I apologize to anyone for them.