A new year is going to start again very soon…
Is the new year going to be better for you than the last year was?
With each new year many people tend to look back on the old one and reflect on how it went. I’m sure many of us are doing that now regarding 2015.
- Did we do all that we wanted to do?
- Did we live up to our expectations?
- Did we actually fulfill our resolutions?
I decided last year to not make any more New Year’s resolutions. After all I never kept them…and that is actually true with many people.
But as you can see from my post from last year I chose instead to delete a few things from my life!
So how did I do?
- I decided to let go of any regrets I may have had regarding decision made throughout my life. And while I do sometimes think back on those decisions I no longer regret any of them. In fact I wrote about letting go of past regrets and decisions here: Let it go
- Remember I said that I was going to not worry what other people thought of me? Well I have to admit that this is a pretty hard one for me that I’m still working on. But…I’m getting there…just a bit slower than I wanted to.
- Comparing! Yikes another hard one for me. But I think I just may have been able to do this one. You see I used to compare myself to oh so many others. I have realized though that each and every one of us is completely different. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. We all have a little something that we might consider to be not quite good enough. We all have a something that maybe we just aren’t confident about. Myself included in each and every one of those. There are some people that I follow on Facebook that are considered to be “big names” in their field and I have come to realize that they too have their vulnerabilities. Good to know, isn’t it? So since learning all of that I have come to realize that comparing myself to these other people just doesn’t do me justice. I am me…and I am good enough!
- Doubting myself was huge for me (see numbers 1, 2 and 3!). Oh yes, for years I have doubted myself. What I can do. Who I am. My abilities and my dreams. But no more. Once again…I am me and damn it I am good enough!
- Relying on myself…well again this is one that I include every year just to reinforce it. Being solo one must learn to rely on oneself. Not just financially. Not just for the basics of life. But also for one’s happiness and joyfulness and of course play. So yes – relying on myself is pretty much a given.
While my life this year took a downward spiral financially I do feel that I have succeeded in so many other areas of my life.
I have a fantastic group of friends which to me is paramount to a joyfully solo lifestyle. And I have made a few decisions on the direction of Joyfully Solo that hopefully you will stick around for.
Once again I am not making any New Year’s Resolutions that will only be done the first two weeks of January. Instead I am going to continue working on the list above and most likely adding a few things to it throughout the year.
No matter if you make resolutions or just want to work on yourself this coming year my hope for you is that 2016 is the best year ever for you!